New York News
Two arrested in Cartier jewelry heist where $700,000 in watches were taken
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two suspects have been arrested following a brazen broad-daylight robbery at the Cartier store in midtown Manhattan.
The suspects have been identified as 35-year-old Allen Williams and 33-year-old Roberto Grant, both of Brooklyn.
They were apprehended during a car stop in front of 34 East 12th Street at 6:30 a.m. on Friday.
Authorities have said 5 suspects entered the Cartier store at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 52nd Street last Sunday and smashed open a glass display case with a hammer.
Police said they made off with 16 wrist watches worth more than $700,000.
NYPD Commissioner William Bratton says both of the suspects arrested on Friday have extensive criminal records.
They are being investigated as part of a pattern of six similar smash and grab robberies at jewelry stores in Manhattan and Queens last year.
Investigators were reviewing security video to try to identify all of the suspects, but so far, none of the surveillance has been released.
Authorities said some wore masks and all had gloves on.
The heist occurred as football fans were flocking midtown Manhattan for festivities related to the Super Bowl in New Jersey on Sunday.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 39 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 38 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 27 min ago