New York News
Church burglar caught on camera in Woodside
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Clear surveillance video captured the man at the center of a pair of church burglaries in Queens.
Both churches targeted were in Woodside.
The suspect is accused of stealing computers and dozens of Visa gift cards from the 7th Day Adventist Community Church just after midnight two weeks ago.
He spent hours breaking into a church safe, not realizing it was all being captured on video.
The suspect, described as an adult male in his 30s with a medium build, actually borrowed tools from a storeroom in order to do the deed.
He spent three hours cracking open the pastor's safe to steal the more than two dozen Visa cards, which the church congregation had put together for victims of Superstorm Sandy.
At one point, the man figured out he'd been on camera. So he wrapped a towel around his head and started yanking wires from an electrical closet, hoping to disable the system.
It didn't work, and he ended up staring directly into the camera.
Still, church members say they actually feel sorry for him.
"Nobody's been angry, we feel sorry for him," officer manager Iris Szoboszlai said. "Because if we can get him, he's going to be in jai. And that's worse for him. Instead of coming in here and saying I need help."
Police say the same man also stole electronics and cash from the Sure Foundation Lutheran Church last week.
In both cases, the suspect forced open doors to gain access to the locations.
No one was injured as a result of these incidents.
In the first incident, he was wearing a red baseball hat, a red waist-length jacket, blue jeans and sneakers.
Anyone with information in regards to these incidents is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Americans on board missing Malaysia Airlines flight ID'd 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 12 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing Malaysia...
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos