New York News
Queens woman attacked inside Woodside apartment
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are searching for a man who attacked a 65-year-old woman inside her Queens apartment building, and they're hoping surveillance images will lead to an arrest.
The incident happened around 6 p.m. on January 30 in the vicinity of 50th Street and 43rd Avenue in Woodside.
Surveillance video shows an unknowing tenant walking into an apartment building. The suspect, seconds behind him, makes it in through the open door. He pretends he's someone who lives here, and the tenant, even kindly lets the suspect go ahead of him onto the elevator. No one realizes the man would lurk here in the stairwells, making his way up a flight, and then waiting until a 65-year old woman was entering her apartment.
Police say the man threw her to the ground in her apartment, punched her in the head, but stole nothing. Perhaps because a neighbor went to check on the woman. Seconds later, she became terrified as the attacker made his way out. Fortunately, he did not attack her as well.
People who live around here were shocked after seeing the video. It was a lesson to those who typically don't ask questions when someone enters the building behind them or comes right up to their door.
"After this, I think I would question it twice," neighbor Judy Giraldo said.
Neighbors along this block in Woodside were also very alarmed by this latest attack. They say that recently break-ins like this seem to be happening more frequently.
"Breaking in thru fire escapes, robbing people, casing out places," resident Bobby Bodin said.
In fact, the building's super says this suspect was seen casing out the place just two days before the attack. Police say he's 50 to 60 years old, last seen in a dark coat with a stripe, a baseball cap and white sneakers. If you have any information, please call Crimestoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, woodside, queens news, assault, new york news, stacey sager
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen