New York News
Harlem cell phone thieves take automatically-uploaded selfies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Investigators trying to catch a pair of thieves stealing cell phones in upper Manhattan and hoping the suspects own stupidity will lead to arrests.
Police say the men took selfies on one of the stolen phones that were automatically uploaded to the victim's photo-sharing account.
The men, believed to be 18 to 23 years old, are accused of robbing at least four people in Harlem last July and September of 2013.
The first incident happened just before 4 a.m. on July 29 when a 55-year-old man was walking into his building and the suspects approached him, simulated a gun and demanded his property. The victim complied, and the suspects fled with the victim's money and phone. There were no reported injuries.
The struck again just before midnight the same day, robbing a 29-year-old man in the vicinity of Eighth Avenue and West 116th Street.
Then on September 19, just before 8 p.m., a 17-year-old man was walking in front of his residence when the suspects approached him and forcibly removed money and his MetroCard from his pocket.
Finally, around 10:30 p.m. on September 24, an 18-year-old man was robbed while walking in the vicinity of Seventh Avenue and West 117th Street. The suspects approached him, simulated a gun and demanded his phone.
Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, harlem, manhattan news, cell phone, theft, robbery, new york news
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 28 min ago
- Paterson fire guts 3 buildings, displaces families
- 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners recalled
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 42 min ago
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show 19 min ago
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos