New York News
Police release photo of already arrested man in hopes more victims come forward
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On Friday night, the NYPD took an unusual step. They released a picture of a man they already arrested. That is how convinced they are Salvador Morales has targeted victims who have not yet come forward.
For Florim Dakaj, a building super in Queens, news of Morales' arrest is a huge relief.
"I'm so happy, you cannot believe! I wanna go and party tonight. I'm so happy," says Dakaj.
Last month, Dakaj called Eyewitness News after seeing a report on an elderly scam pattern miles away in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. He recognized the suspect as the guy who stalked and targeted one of his tenants in Jackson Heights.
Retired school teacher Adrienne Breslow was not having it. She kicked the man out when he tried to con her by apologizing for a non-existent plumbing leak, and then offering her 50 dollars for her trouble. In other cases, cops say when the victim turns away to make change, Morales runs off with whatever valuables he can grab.;
"How stupid did he think I was?" says Breslow.
Eyewitness News put Breslow in touch with detectives, and on Friday they drove her to Brooklyn, where she helped pick Morales out of a lineup.
Back in Breslow's building, where Dakaj, the eagle-eyed Super put up the sign at the front door, tenants say they are lucky to have him, and happy an alleged con man is off the street.
"Follow an old person? What do they have to defend themselves, basically? That's just preying on the weak," said tenant Robert May.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act