New York News
Brookdale Medical Center patient charged in brutal assault of nurse
BROWNSVILLE (WABC) -- A man is in custody, accused of beating a nurse so badly that she was left in critical condition.
The incident happened Friday at Brookdale Medical Center in Brownsville, Brooklyn.
Police say 40-year-old Kwincii Jones attacked his nurse while she was preparing to discharge him from the hospital.
Jones allegedly knocked 70-year-old Evelyn Lynch to the ground and stomped on her head.
She was knocked unconcious and suffered severe facial fractures.
"The whole family believe that, they are very distraught over this, and we're asking for all the prayers we can get," family friend Dr. Marvo Forde said. "We never expected that in a place she is caring for a patient that it would happen."
The beating stopped after another nurse walked in the room and saw what was happening. Jones locked himself inside of a bathroom until the police arrived and locked him up.
Lynch has already undergone brain surgery and remains in critical condition at Kings County Hospital.
Investigators are still not sure what set off the violent attack.
Brookdale Hospital released a statement addressing the nurse attack, saying:
"This was a tragic incident and we are cooperating fully with NYPD to make sure justice is administered. The Brookdale family, coworkers, staff, and administration have her and her family in our thoughts and prayers."
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, brownsville, assault, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 2 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 1 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
9 min ago