New York News
Bronx couple survives terrifying fall off Bruckner Expressway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Bronx couple is counting their blessings after they survived a terrifying car accident Monday afternoon.
All the snow and ice on the ground helped catapult their vehicle off the Bruckner Expressway and down onto a roadway 50 feet below.
Miraculously, Carlos Broadbelt and Luz Cruz, both 54, survived the heart-stopping fall with only minor injuries.
The crash happened around 3:30 p.m. near Brush Avenue in the Unionport section.
Police say Broadbelt swerved to avoid a road hazard, possibly a pot hole, and hit an icy snowbank, sending the red Toyota Matrix careening off the elevated roadway and crash landing onto the Bruckner Service Road.
The accident crushed the car, but police were able to pull the victims free.
The couple was taken to Jacobi Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Considering how far they fell, it is truly incredible that they are still alive. A neighbor described them as helpful and friendly, and a walking miracle.
"They must have an angel with them, because that is amazing that they were able to leave the accident without any harm," neighbor Gabriel Cesar said. "I wish them the best, and I hope to see them soon."
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade