New York News
Fire in Bronx residential building injures 16
EASTCHESTER BAY (WABC) -- Fire crews spent several hours Thursday battling a 4th-alarm fire in a residential home in the Eastchester Bay section of the Bronx.
The fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. at a home on Dean Avenue, and was finally brought under control around 12:30 p.m. Strong winds coming off the Long Island Sound hampered the firefighting efforts.
Officials say 16 people were hurt in the blaze, including 10 civilians and six firefighters. Two of the injured are children. Luckily, none of the injuries are considered life threatening and most are described as minor.
Some were transported to area hospitals for evaluation, but most were treated at the scene.
"It was like a scene from Dante's Inferno," said one neighbor, Phil Garbarino. "The smoke and fire were billowing out, like you couldn't even breathe. So I opened the door and came downstairs, and it was worse. The wind was whipping so bad and the flames were so high that we thought it would jump to my patio."
More than 100 firefighters responded to the scene.
There is no word yet on how the fire started.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 42 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 23 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 36 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 22 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
40 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
42 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
36 min ago