New York News
Fire in Bronx residential building injures 16
EASTCHESTER BAY (WABC) -- Fire crews spent several hours Thursday battling a 4th-alarm fire in a residential home in the Eastchester Bay section of the Bronx.
The fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. at a home on Dean Avenue, and was finally brought under control around 12:30 p.m. Strong winds coming off the Long Island Sound hampered the firefighting efforts.
Officials say 16 people were hurt in the blaze, including 10 civilians and six firefighters. Two of the injured are children. Luckily, none of the injuries are considered life threatening and most are described as minor.
Some were transported to area hospitals for evaluation, but most were treated at the scene.
"It was like a scene from Dante's Inferno," said one neighbor, Phil Garbarino. "The smoke and fire were billowing out, like you couldn't even breathe. So I opened the door and came downstairs, and it was worse. The wind was whipping so bad and the flames were so high that we thought it would jump to my patio."
More than 100 firefighters responded to the scene.
There is no word yet on how the fire started.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 59 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
27 min ago