New York News
Mother wants NYPD detective who shot her son fired
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The mother of a National Guardsman killed by the NYPD wants the officer who shot her son off the force.
Noel Polanco was shot by detective Hassan Hamdy during a traffic stop in Queens back in 2012.
Hamdy fired through the car window because he said he thought Polanco was reaching for something under his seat.
There were no weapons in the vehicle.
A grand jury cleared Hamdy of criminal wrongdoing, but the family settled a wrongful death claim for $2.5 million earlier this week.
Appearing Saturday at the National Action Network, Polanco's mother, Cecilia Reyes, said the detective should not be working in law enforcement.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest 20 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to...
20 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos