New York News
Brownsville, Brooklyn fire forces residents out of homes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Dozens of people were forced out of their homes in Brooklyn Monday night after a fire tore through their apartment building.
The fire happened this afternoon in a 4-story building on Saratoga Avenue in Brownsville.
Officials say the fire started by a space heater placed too close to flammable materials. It quickly spread throughout the 35-unit building.
A vacate order was placed on apartments 1A, 2A, 3C, 3B, and 3D and the cellar.
Con-Ed was able to re-energize the B wing and some of those residents will be allowed back home.
Red Cross is providing housing for 25 residents tonight, some of whom are children.
Fortunately no one was hurt in the blaze.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion 49 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 24 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 28 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
53 min ago