New York News
Plow pushes ice and snow off bridge onto car
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man on his way to work was driving under a bridge when a snow plow created an avalanche from above.
It ruined his car and nearly ruined his life.
The pictures tell the story of one lucky guy and a white-knuckle commute.
"There's no question about it, it was terrifying," said Adam Bernheim, driver whose car was damaged by plow.
Adam Bernheim was almost at work Friday morning, he'd made it across the Verrazano in one piece, and was heading to his job at Staten Island University Hospital.
But as he merged onto Lily Pond Avenue and passed under the bridge, he drove right into an avalanche of snow and ice that was thrown by a snowplow clearing the road above.
The ice shattered his windshield and covered Bernheim with shards of glass.
"I think as he's clearing his road on the overpass, he doesn't have an awareness of what's happening on the road below. I don't even think he's aware this whole incident happened," Bernheim said.
Bernheim, who is a radiologist specializing in chest trauma, knows how much worse this incident could have been.
And he says he can't imagine why the MTA, which operates the bridge, doesn't have better safety protocols in place to protect drivers and pedestrians below.
"You're creating a situation that's dangerous even life threatening, I think it should be addressed," Bernheim said.
Bernheim says he isn't looking for anything from the MTA, except an assurance this won't happen to anyone else.
The MTA says it's looking into the case and that safety is its top priority.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
51 min ago