New York News
Two teens shot, elderly woman hit by stray bullet
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two young men and a 79-year-old woman were shot outside a store in the Bronx.
Wednesday night, police spent hours scouring the stretch of Morris Park Avenue for clues.
The running gun battle sent shopkeepers and pedestrians diving for cover.
"Everyone just started running and lot of chaos and confusion going on. It was crazy," an eyewitness said.
"I saw people racing from across the street, that's when I understood hey this is gunshots this is actually serious," another eyewitness said.
Cops say a group of teens had been fighting near the corner of White Plains Road and one brought a bat.
But another brought a gun and used it, shooting two teens. But it didn't stop there.
"When I came outside I saw an older lady in her 70's, she was already sitting down with her hand bleeding," an eyewitness said.
It was 79-year-old Sally Adams and police say she took a stray bullet.
Brenda Lewis told Eyewitness News her mother was shot in the hand while walking to pay her bills.
"The bullet just grazed her so, she's got a hole in her hand so they stitched it and fixed her up and all. So, she's relaxing and taking medication because she's still in pain," Lewis said.
An 18-year-old man was shot in the arm and a 19-year-old man was shot in the leg.
She and the two teens were rushed to nearby Jacobi Medical Center as police searched for the shooter.
Longtime shopkeepers marveled at how much worse this could have been.
"To this moment, I feel very blessed that my mother and I were in the shop at the time that happened," a shopkeeper said.
"If this was a normal school week, because kids are off this week, you would have a lot of kids getting off buses and everything, it could have really been really bad," another shopkeeper said.
No arrests have been made.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 36 min ago
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
2 min ago