New York News
Brooklyn school apologizes for sex abuse by former coach
NEW YORK -- Brooklyn's elite Poly Prep Country Day School is apologizing for decades of sexual abuse by the school's former football coach.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Poly Prep officials sent an email to students and alumni on Friday offering "deepest apologies" to those who were abused by the coach, Philip Foglietta.
Foglietta was accused of groping and raping boys during his tenure at Poly Prep from 1966 to 1991. He died in 1998.
The school settled a lawsuit over the abuse in 2012.
Poly Prep eventually forced Foglietta's retirement, but school officials did not publicly acknowledge the reasons behind his departure.
The letter from headmaster David B. Harman and board Chairman Scott M. Smith says the school should have immediately reported Foglietta to the authorities.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, sex abuse, brooklyn news, new york news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 17 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son