New York News
More charges against suspect arrested in Queens mall fires
ELMHURST (WABC) -- A man was taken into custody Monday for allegedly setting fires in two malls in Queens, and he has since been charged in a number of incidents.
Dereck Sumair, 23, was taken into custody after a police officer recognized him from a surveillance photo.
A fires was reported Monday afternoon at Macy's in the Queens Center Mall, as well as at four stores at the Rego Park Center.
No injuries were reported.
Police believe Sumair was also responsible for earlier incidents at the Rego Park Center after small fires broke out Sunday at T.J. Maxx and Staples, and on Friday at Sears.
The suspect is charged with 12 counts of arson, 11 counts of endangerment, 18 counts of mischief in connection with incidents at 10 commercial establishments and a school.
"They were limited to content fire, no structural fires," FDNY Deputy Chief David Schiralli said. "The sprinkler here in Sears activated. The fires were put out with basically cans or fire extinguisher and dry chemical extinguishers. All searches were negative. There were no injuries to any civilians or fire personnel."
Authorities say the man just kept setting fires until he was caught, and it was the NYPD that prevented things from getting a lot worse. One of the police officers at the scene Monday had a surveillance camera picture from Sunday's fire at Staples.
That sharp-eyed police officer saw a man leaving Burlington Coat Factory who looked just like a man who was leaving Sunday's fire and grabbed him.
Sources say that man, Sumair, confessed to the other fires as well.
nyc news, new york city news, queens news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 14 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 6 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos