New York News
NYPD officer injured in shooting released from hospital
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD officer who was shot in the leg while chasing a suspect in Brooklyn earlier this week has been released from the hospital.
Police say 26-year-old Officer James Li got into a gun battle with the suspect at Utica Avenue and Empire Boulevard in Crown Heights on Wednesday night. One man was taken into custody, but the manhunt continued for a second suspect.
Rashun Robinson, 28, didn't even make an attempt to get bail Thursday night.
He was arraigned in Kings County Criminal Court on a number of felony counts, including the attempted murder of a police officer.
"The question was put to him, why did you shoot? 'Because I hate cops.' No other reason," said Pat Lynch, PBA President.
The incident began around 5 p.m. Wednesday, when Li and his partner spotted the two men enter a bus through the rear doors. They got on the bus and removed the men, who ran once they hit the street.
The suspect then fired at the officers, who both fired back. Witnesses reported hearing as many as 20 shots ring out. Li was hit in both legs, specifically leg, groin and thigh.
The off-duty EMTs, identified as Khadija Hall and Shaun Alexander, grabbed their equipment and rushed to the scene to aid Li, who was lying on the sidewalk. Both women have more than 20 years on the job.
The gunman escaped, but thanks to civilians and nearby residents, police were directed to a nearby building, where they found Robinson hiding out in a fifth-floor hallway.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, crown heights, brooklyn news, police officer shot, police shooting, new york news
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday 20 min ago
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport 15 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Records: Man in movie theater shooting also was texting 58 min ago
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court 20 min ago
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday 40 min ago