Northern Suburbs News
Pace students arrested in shooting chaos face judge
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Four Pace University football players who were arrested after their teammate was killed by police returned Thursday to the place where he was shot, silently paying their respects at a makeshift memorial.
Daniel Parker of Lauderhill, Fla.; Joseph Garcia of Floral Park, N.Y.; Yves Delpeche of Brooklyn; and Joseph Romanick of Slidell, La., made the 2½-mile drive to the suburban shopping center after pleading not guilty at their arraignment at Mount Pleasant Town Court in Valhalla.
Parker, Garcia and Delpeche are charged with disorderly conduct and obstruction; Romanick is charged with criminal mischief.
They were arrested Oct. 17 in the chaotic aftermath of the police shooting, which resulted in the death of Danroy Henry, of Easton, Mass., hours after their school's homecoming game.
Police, who had responded to a disturbance outside a bar in the Thornwood shopping center, said Henry sped away and hit two officers after another officer knocked on his car window. Some witnesses have contradicted that account.
Authorities allege three of the teammates interfered with getting medical aid to Henry; the other is accused of breaking a store window.
Some witnesses have alleged that the handcuffed Henry was neglected for up to 15 minutes after he was shot. Mount Pleasant police Chief Louis Alagno has said Henry received treatment from officers within three to five minutes of the first report of a shooting.
Defense attorney Bonita Zelman has called the charges against Henry's teammates a cover-up for police brutality. Police say they have received no brutality complaint.
On Thursday, the judge declined to hear Zelman's motion to dismiss the charges but said she could take it up later this month.
westchester county, white plains, thornwood, police shooting, pace university, northern suburbs news
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Bratton to join Sharpton at rally in Harlem 44 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 12 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
12 min ago