Northern Suburbs News
Explosion at Indian Point nuclear power plant
BUCHANAN, NY (WABC) -- A transformer exploded and a fire erupted at a a nuclear power plant north of New York City, leading to an emergency shut down of one of the reactors.
An official with the Indian Point plant in Buchanan says there were no injuries in Sunday's incident.
The plant is owned by Entergy Corp. Company spokesman Jerry Nappi told the Journal News that no radioactive materials leaked.
He said the transformer was outside and not near the reactor.
Indian Point 2 was shut down after the 6:39 p.m. explosion.
Indian Point 3 was operating normally.
An alert was declared and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission notified.
Nappi said he didn't know how long Unit 2 would be offline.
The power plant is 24 miles north of the city.
indian point nuclear power plant, northern suburbs news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 3 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 27 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
3 min ago