Northern Suburbs News
Funeral held for victims of Carmel fire
CARMEL, N.Y. (WABC) -- Some 1,000 people have attended the funeral for four members of a family who were killed in a house fire in a New York City suburb.
Bagpipers played as the victims' family members walked into St. James the Apostle Church in Carmel, N.Y. Saturday morning.
They were led by the fire's sole survivor, Thomas Sullivan Jr., who watched while holding his father's police cap over his heart.
Larchmont Police Capt. Thomas Sullivan was killed in the fire early Tuesday along with his wife, Donna, and teenage daughters Meaghan and Mairead.
The cause of the fire has not been determined.
Larchmont Police Chief John Paulway said he last saw Sullivan on Monday.
The chief said Sullivan's desk was full of art projects by his children.
A long line of uniformed officers saluted the funeral procession.
"It's a terrible tragedy," said one of the mourners, Eric Dinome. "It defies our understanding."
"We're all still kind of processing this," Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell said. "And we're very sad."
A fund is being set up to help Thomas Sullivan Jr.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
carmel, fire, fire death, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn. 10 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Parts of Saw Mill Parkway remain closed due...
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos