Northern Suburbs News
Funeral held for victims of Carmel fire
CARMEL, N.Y. (WABC) -- Some 1,000 people have attended the funeral for four members of a family who were killed in a house fire in a New York City suburb.
Bagpipers played as the victims' family members walked into St. James the Apostle Church in Carmel, N.Y. Saturday morning.
They were led by the fire's sole survivor, Thomas Sullivan Jr., who watched while holding his father's police cap over his heart.
Larchmont Police Capt. Thomas Sullivan was killed in the fire early Tuesday along with his wife, Donna, and teenage daughters Meaghan and Mairead.
The cause of the fire has not been determined.
Larchmont Police Chief John Paulway said he last saw Sullivan on Monday.
The chief said Sullivan's desk was full of art projects by his children.
A long line of uniformed officers saluted the funeral procession.
"It's a terrible tragedy," said one of the mourners, Eric Dinome. "It defies our understanding."
"We're all still kind of processing this," Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell said. "And we're very sad."
A fund is being set up to help Thomas Sullivan Jr.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
carmel, fire, fire death, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos