Northern Suburbs News
Friends, family seek justice for Danroy Henry, Jr.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY (WABC) -- A group of young men who never asked to be but in a split second became the story.
Now known as the Pleasantville 7, they all go to Pace University, were friends with Danroy Henry Jr., a 20-year-old student athlete who was fatally shot by police outside of a Pleasantville bar last month.
"These young men are heros and I ask you to all stand and give them a hand," Attorney Bonita Zelman said.
Friends, family members, community leaders and representatives from police organizations gathered at Bethel Baptist Church in prayer and for support on Sunday.
Channelle Henry spoke of her cousin Danroy, a gentle soul whose character and attitude, she says, were that of honor.
"Little Danny is not gone from us, for he is in our hearts and stands besides us as a prince in the lords kingdom," Henry said.
The crowd then headed to the Westchester County Courthouse and in silent protest, circled the building 7 times. They want justice, people like Maureen Finnegan, her son played football with Danroy.
"How can you not, how can you sit back and let something like this happen over and over again, the excuse is flimsy as far as I'm concerned," Finnegan said.
Right now the State Police and Westchester County DA's office are handling the investigation but Michael Sussman, the Henry's attorney, says he is not confident there can be an independent review of the evidence and is trying to get the Justice Department involved, so far with little success.
But he says rallies like this are an important first step.
"There has to be a ground swell, people concerned, its not just about what happens in the court, when its just about what happens in the court, its about nothing because when enough concern builds and leads the court to have to take issues seriously like this," Sussman said.
danroy henry jr., pace university, northern suburbs news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 7 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 51 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
3 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
51 min ago