Northern Suburbs News
Friends, family seek justice for Danroy Henry, Jr.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY (WABC) -- A group of young men who never asked to be but in a split second became the story.
Now known as the Pleasantville 7, they all go to Pace University, were friends with Danroy Henry Jr., a 20-year-old student athlete who was fatally shot by police outside of a Pleasantville bar last month.
"These young men are heros and I ask you to all stand and give them a hand," Attorney Bonita Zelman said.
Friends, family members, community leaders and representatives from police organizations gathered at Bethel Baptist Church in prayer and for support on Sunday.
Channelle Henry spoke of her cousin Danroy, a gentle soul whose character and attitude, she says, were that of honor.
"Little Danny is not gone from us, for he is in our hearts and stands besides us as a prince in the lords kingdom," Henry said.
The crowd then headed to the Westchester County Courthouse and in silent protest, circled the building 7 times. They want justice, people like Maureen Finnegan, her son played football with Danroy.
"How can you not, how can you sit back and let something like this happen over and over again, the excuse is flimsy as far as I'm concerned," Finnegan said.
Right now the State Police and Westchester County DA's office are handling the investigation but Michael Sussman, the Henry's attorney, says he is not confident there can be an independent review of the evidence and is trying to get the Justice Department involved, so far with little success.
But he says rallies like this are an important first step.
"There has to be a ground swell, people concerned, its not just about what happens in the court, when its just about what happens in the court, its about nothing because when enough concern builds and leads the court to have to take issues seriously like this," Sussman said.
danroy henry jr., pace university, northern suburbs news
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 11 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
58 min ago