Northern Suburbs News
Facebook plea helps save group's holiday meal
KINGSTON, N.Y. -- When the donor for a Hudson Valley soup kitchen's Thanksgiving Day meal backed out at the last minute, Diane Reeder turned to her friends for help - all 2,369 of them.
Reeder had planned to feed 300 people at her Queens Gallery soup kitchen in Kingston on Thanksgiving, but the donor of the food backed out on Monday. Reeder says she didn't have the budget to buy enough turkey and all the trimmings.
She says she went online Tuesday and sent out a desperate plea for help to her 2,369 friends on Facebook, the social-networking website. She wrote that she only had 48 hours to get everything needed for Thanksgiving dinner.
The friends came to the rescue, delivering jugs of apple cider, heaps of vegetables and trays of dessert in time for Thursday's dinner.
--- Information from: The Times Herald-Record, http://www.th-record.com
facebook, thanksgiving, northern suburbs news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State 59 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 20 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 18 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
15 min ago