Northern Suburbs News
Facebook plea helps save group's holiday meal
KINGSTON, N.Y. -- When the donor for a Hudson Valley soup kitchen's Thanksgiving Day meal backed out at the last minute, Diane Reeder turned to her friends for help - all 2,369 of them.
Reeder had planned to feed 300 people at her Queens Gallery soup kitchen in Kingston on Thanksgiving, but the donor of the food backed out on Monday. Reeder says she didn't have the budget to buy enough turkey and all the trimmings.
She says she went online Tuesday and sent out a desperate plea for help to her 2,369 friends on Facebook, the social-networking website. She wrote that she only had 48 hours to get everything needed for Thanksgiving dinner.
The friends came to the rescue, delivering jugs of apple cider, heaps of vegetables and trays of dessert in time for Thursday's dinner.
--- Information from: The Times Herald-Record, http://www.th-record.com
facebook, thanksgiving, northern suburbs news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line 18 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire 6 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures