Northern Suburbs News
Prime suspect Mele indicted in Garza murder
GOSHEN, N.Y. (WABC) -- A murder investigation two years in the making may finally be solved.
Laura Garza, just 25, vanished after leaving a Chelsea nightclub in 2008. Now, prosecutors have charged the prime suspect.
The Orange County district attorney announced the indictment of Michael Mele in connection with the Garza's murder.
The eight count indictment includes charges of murder, manslaughter and tampering with physical evidence (specifically two carpets, a car mat, and Garza's body).
Garza was captured on security cameras leaving the Marquee nightclub in Chelsea with Mele, a convicted sex offender who she met that night. Garza was last spotted near his condo upstate before she vanished without a trace.
Mele quickly became the prime suspect in Garza's disappearance, but he was not charged until now.
For 16 months, the family of the aspiring dancer prayed she'd be found alive.
But last April, ATV riders came across her remains in a Pennsylvania field. The case then went to a grand jury.
Mele is already serving time for violating his parole as a sex offender.
laura garza, northern suburbs news
- Cuomo to announce deal between MTA and Union 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions 4 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 24 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 40 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
40 min ago