Northern Suburbs News
Prime suspect Mele indicted in Garza murder
GOSHEN, N.Y. (WABC) -- A murder investigation two years in the making may finally be solved.
Laura Garza, just 25, vanished after leaving a Chelsea nightclub in 2008. Now, prosecutors have charged the prime suspect.
The Orange County district attorney announced the indictment of Michael Mele in connection with the Garza's murder.
The eight count indictment includes charges of murder, manslaughter and tampering with physical evidence (specifically two carpets, a car mat, and Garza's body).
Garza was captured on security cameras leaving the Marquee nightclub in Chelsea with Mele, a convicted sex offender who she met that night. Garza was last spotted near his condo upstate before she vanished without a trace.
Mele quickly became the prime suspect in Garza's disappearance, but he was not charged until now.
For 16 months, the family of the aspiring dancer prayed she'd be found alive.
But last April, ATV riders came across her remains in a Pennsylvania field. The case then went to a grand jury.
Mele is already serving time for violating his parole as a sex offender.
laura garza, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97