Northern Suburbs News
Prime suspect Mele indicted in Garza murder
GOSHEN, N.Y. (WABC) -- A murder investigation two years in the making may finally be solved.
Laura Garza, just 25, vanished after leaving a Chelsea nightclub in 2008. Now, prosecutors have charged the prime suspect.
The Orange County district attorney announced the indictment of Michael Mele in connection with the Garza's murder.
The eight count indictment includes charges of murder, manslaughter and tampering with physical evidence (specifically two carpets, a car mat, and Garza's body).
Garza was captured on security cameras leaving the Marquee nightclub in Chelsea with Mele, a convicted sex offender who she met that night. Garza was last spotted near his condo upstate before she vanished without a trace.
Mele quickly became the prime suspect in Garza's disappearance, but he was not charged until now.
For 16 months, the family of the aspiring dancer prayed she'd be found alive.
But last April, ATV riders came across her remains in a Pennsylvania field. The case then went to a grand jury.
Mele is already serving time for violating his parole as a sex offender.
laura garza, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert 45 min ago
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday 19 min ago
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 42 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 28 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing 5 min ago
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books