Northern Suburbs News
Missing woman's family speaks out
ELLENVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- The grief stricken mother and sister of Shannon Gilbert went through old photos of the 24-year-old in their Ellenville, New York apartment Tuesday as detectives tried to determine if she is one of the victims of what may be a serial killer.
The skeletal remains of 4 people were found at Gilgo Beach in Long Island on Saturday.
Their identities are yet to be confirmed.
However, the discovery comes almost 8 months after Gilbert's family say she made a frantic 911 call for help from the same location.
It was the last time anyone has heard from her.
"Her last phone call was 21 minutes to 911, when she was grabbed and pulled into a truck, the police missed her by about 5," said Mari Gilbert, Shannon's mother.
"She was basically running away, trying to leave, and it was her going 'get away from me, get away from me', running and knocking on neighbor's doors," said Sherre Gilberg, Shannon's sister.
"Screaming, 'help me, help me, he's trying to kill me," Mari Gilbert said.
Gilbert's family did not hear the 911 calls themselves, but say detectives told them about it and that Shannon, who was working as a prostitute, named her attacker.
The family says it was someone she knew.
"I am worried about if she suffered," Mari Gilbert said.
Gilbert's family says on that night Shannon met with a man she met on Craigslist.
They say police have talked to the man and he has taken a lie detector test.
The results were inconclusive.
It is the kind of violent end that Gilbert's family feared after Shannon turned to a world of drugs and prostitution.
However, that is not how they want to remember her.
They say she was a woman filled with love and much promise.
"I was always worried for her, just don't pass judgment on her," her family said.
Shannon Gilbert's family believe police know the identity of the man she was running from on that night 8 months ago, and now hope that the 911 call will help solve this case.
missing person, body found, ulster county, long island, northern suburbs news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 10 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 19 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 49 min ago
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 40 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
40 min ago