Northern Suburbs News
Mom driving with daughter in car charged with DWI
RYE BROOK, New York (WABC) -- Suji Alexander-Raja did not want to talk to us about the disturbing events of New Year's Eve.
That's when state police in Dutchess County arrested the 37-year-old mother from Rye Brook on charges of aggravated driving while intoxicated here along the Taconic State Parkway.
Her breath sample to police registered a staggering .32. That's four times above the legal limit.
"It's a terrible thing that happened, especially to her. They are good neighbors. I know the mother and father. I am very, very surprised," Renato Ochoa, a neighbor, said.
Police say about 9:45 Friday night, Alexander-Raja ran off the parkway's southbound side in East Fishkill and struck a guardrail.
When the trooper arrived, the mother and her 6-year-old daughter were standing outside the car.
Police charged the mother under Leandra's Law, a felony charge, for driving drunk with a minor in the car.
Police contacted a family member to pick up the 6-year-old.
Her neighbors say she should have known better than to drive drunk with her daughter in the car.
"She's a doctor and I'm just amazed that would happen. I feel terrible for the parents and the child," Grace Marks said.
Alexander-Raja was arraigned in the Town of East Fishkill Court and remanded to Dutchess County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond.
westchester county, dutchess county, rye brook, east fishkill, drunk driving, leandra's law, taconic state parkway, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 32 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 7 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
39 min ago