Northern Suburbs News
Man mauled by dogs in Mount Vernon; police kill one
MOUNT VERNON (WABC) -- A man is hospitalized in Westchester County following a vicious dog mauling.
The man was attacked by at least two dogs, both apparently from the same pack involved in another attack last year.
The happened Wednesday night at about 9:30 in Mount Vernon.
The victim was walking along East Fourth Street when the dogs attacked him, biting his leg and head.
Then, more trouble erupted. Police arrived on the scene and shot and killed one of the dogs after it charged at them.
The local animal shelter was called to take the other dog away.
And apparently, this isn't the first time these pets have caused problems. Both were from the same group of dogs that killed a Yorkshire terrier back in August.
"They was all like, 'argh argh argh,'" dog owner Daenna Young said. "And I was just screaming and ran in the street."
Young says six dogs ran from an open gate at a nearby auto shop and went straight for her little dog, Biggie.
"People knew that many dogs were back there and no one did anything," she said. "And you know what? Biggie is gone. But that could have been a child."
The victim in the latest attack was taken to Jacobi Hospital, where he was treated for serious bites to his head and leg. He is expected to make a full recovery.
westchester county, mount vernon, dog attack, northern suburbs news
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 24 min ago
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
12 min ago