Northern Suburbs News
Mount Vernon mom dies; son accused of beating her
MOUNT VERNON -- The district attorney's office says a man accused of beating his 87-year-old mother could face more serious charges because she died after his arrest.
Lucian Chalfen, spokesman for the Westchester County district attorney, said Wednesday that 55-year-old Peter Lawrence Herman had been charged with assault.
Chalfen said Lawrence was arrested Monday after his mother was beaten at their Mount Vernon home. The mother, Claire Herman, was taken to a hospital, where she died Monday night.
Chalfen said autopsy findings will determine whether the charges against Peter Herman are upgraded. That could happen Friday, when he is due in city court.
mount vernon, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case 5 min ago
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 58 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos