Northern Suburbs News
Another snow day for many north of the city
NEW CITY (WABC) -- For high school sophomore Michael Dolan, it's a snow day, but first some work.
His father has enlisted him to help shovel. Of course, he doesn't mind an extra day off, but there are midterms next week.
"I'll still have in class time," he said.
It's because of a crunchy coating of ice that dozens of school districts closed today.
For many districts in the northern and western suburbs, it is either the second or third snow day.
"It disrupts the rhythm of a good education," said Paul Pizzutello, an assistant principal in Greenburgh.
Some districts waited as late as possible before making the call, forcing some parents to make last minute childcare arrangements.
By afternoon, Beth Jones had given up on her plow guy showing up and decided to clear her driveway herself. It was no easy task.
"More of a challenge. I want to get the driveway cleared off before it starts to freeze over tonight," she said.
The fight against this latest round of winter weather kicked off in the wee hours of the morning.
Plows made the rounds on highways like the Palisades Parkway, major roads like Route 59 in Nanuet and local streets like Main Street in New City.
The main concern was ice building up on top of a couple of inches of snow.
"If the temperature drops and what we melt refreezes, it could be a problem," Brian Lillo of Clarkstown Highway Department said.
Connecticut state police responded to more than 500 calls as the result snow and ice on the state's highways during the morning rush hour.
Lt. J. Paul Vance says there were dozens of accidents Tuesday but no reports of deaths or serious injury.
He says tractor-trailer crashes brought the morning rush hour to a crawl in Fairfield County, eastern Connecticut, and in the Southington area, where a plow caught fire.
He says the biggest problem was getting equipment to the crash sites, because of the traffic volume and treacherous conditions.
westchester county, rockland county, connecticut, winter storm, snow, snow storm, ice, ice storm, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
39 min ago
- Death toll rises to 13 in Mount Everest...
23 min ago