Northern Suburbs News
Newborn dies as mom tried to keep her warm
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police say a newborn accidentally suffocated as her mother held her close to keep her warm.
Mount Vernon Detective Sgt. Rob Scott said Tuesday that the 11-day-old baby was pronounced dead last Thursday.
The mother was carrying the baby in a harness in the front of her with the baby facing her chest during an outing in the Bronx, he said.
The mother wrapped the baby in a blanket and then zippered up her coat over the child.
When they reached their Mount Vernon home, Scott said the baby was not breathing. Paramedics were unable to revive her.
Scott said the grandmother had legal custody of the baby girl, but he did not know why. The family's name was not made public.
No charges were filed. Police said it's just a terrible tragedy.
mount vernon, bronx, child death, northern suburbs news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 56 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 55 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
56 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast...
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
52 min ago