Northern Suburbs News
Newborn dies as mom tried to keep her warm
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police say a newborn accidentally suffocated as her mother held her close to keep her warm.
Mount Vernon Detective Sgt. Rob Scott said Tuesday that the 11-day-old baby was pronounced dead last Thursday.
The mother was carrying the baby in a harness in the front of her with the baby facing her chest during an outing in the Bronx, he said.
The mother wrapped the baby in a blanket and then zippered up her coat over the child.
When they reached their Mount Vernon home, Scott said the baby was not breathing. Paramedics were unable to revive her.
Scott said the grandmother had legal custody of the baby girl, but he did not know why. The family's name was not made public.
No charges were filed. Police said it's just a terrible tragedy.
mount vernon, bronx, child death, northern suburbs news
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 26 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- India demands apology for diplomat arrest in Manhattan 21 min ago
- Baruch frat involved in hazing death gets lifetime ban 16 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300