Northern Suburbs News
Man arrested after asking cops about growing pot
FARMINGTON, Conn. (WABC) -- Police say a Connecticut man was arrested after he called 911 and asked a dispatcher how much trouble he could get into by growing one marijuana plant.
Farmington police say 21-year-old town resident Robert Michelson called about 8 p.m. Thursday.
When a dispatcher told him he could get arrested for growing pot, police say Michelson said thank you and hung up.
Police officers went to Michelson's house and say they seized a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, while Michelson admitted he bought seeds and equipment for growing.
Michelson was released on $5,000 bail after being charged with marijuana possession and other crimes.
A woman who answered the phone at his home Friday said he wasn't available for comment, and it's not clear if he has a lawyer.
Transcript of the 911 call
Dispatcher: 911, what's your emergency?
Michelson: Uh, let's not get into that yet.
Dispatcher: If it's not an emergency you don't call 911 sir.
Michelson: Well, I have a legal question.
Dispatcher: Is it life threatening or an active crime in progress?
Michelson: Crime in progress possibly.
Dispatcher: What's going on?
Michelson: I was just growing some marijuana and I was just wondering what, how much trouble you can get in for one plant.
Dispatcher: You're growing marijuana and you want to know...depends on how big the plant is?
Michelson: It's only a seedling.
Dispatcher: Well, it's possession. You can get pinched for a roach in the car.
Michelson: All right, thanks for the info.
connecticut, marijuana, arrest, northern suburbs news
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'