Northern Suburbs News
A little girl's heartbreaking ordeal
MOUNT VERNON (WABC) -- The family of a woman killed by her estranged husband in front of their young daughter is speaking out.
What the little girl remembers about that day is heartbreaking.
"I was numb. I'm still numb," Blackhawk SanCarlos, the victim's father, said.
He says every time his daughter was beaten, battered and abused she called him for help.
Three weeks ago, Jessica Welch made the decision to finally leave her husband, Lee, for good.
"I heard him. He said you can run, but you can't hide," her friend Vanessa Diaz said.
Despite the threat, the 28 year old mom packed up her eight year old son Isaiah, five year old daughter Ashanti and three year old daughter Forever.
She went to her father's home in Mount Vernon.
"He threatened me because she was down here. He said anybody who had anything to do with her being down here would be in trouble. He threatened to kill me," SanCarlos said.
But Lee convinced Jessica to meet him in Poughkeepsie Friday to pick up the Chevy Blazer she left behind.
Police say the 27 year old father shot and killed his wife, and then shot and killed police officer John Falcone before turning the gun himself.
Their three year old daughter Forever saw everything.
"She said mommy's dead. The man shot her. She's dead. She said a lot of cops came. She said daddy shot the cop," SanCarlos said.
Family members are asking why as they pull out photos from a truck filled with shattered memories.
"She just wanted her family. She wanted to give him another chance. She didn't want her kids to grow up without their dad. She tried, but there was no helping that guy," her sister, Ineya SanCarlos, said.
poughkeepsie, crime, murder, police officer killed, northern suburbs news, carolina leid
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 46 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos