Northern Suburbs News
A little girl's heartbreaking ordeal
MOUNT VERNON (WABC) -- The family of a woman killed by her estranged husband in front of their young daughter is speaking out.
What the little girl remembers about that day is heartbreaking.
"I was numb. I'm still numb," Blackhawk SanCarlos, the victim's father, said.
He says every time his daughter was beaten, battered and abused she called him for help.
Three weeks ago, Jessica Welch made the decision to finally leave her husband, Lee, for good.
"I heard him. He said you can run, but you can't hide," her friend Vanessa Diaz said.
Despite the threat, the 28 year old mom packed up her eight year old son Isaiah, five year old daughter Ashanti and three year old daughter Forever.
She went to her father's home in Mount Vernon.
"He threatened me because she was down here. He said anybody who had anything to do with her being down here would be in trouble. He threatened to kill me," SanCarlos said.
But Lee convinced Jessica to meet him in Poughkeepsie Friday to pick up the Chevy Blazer she left behind.
Police say the 27 year old father shot and killed his wife, and then shot and killed police officer John Falcone before turning the gun himself.
Their three year old daughter Forever saw everything.
"She said mommy's dead. The man shot her. She's dead. She said a lot of cops came. She said daddy shot the cop," SanCarlos said.
Family members are asking why as they pull out photos from a truck filled with shattered memories.
"She just wanted her family. She wanted to give him another chance. She didn't want her kids to grow up without their dad. She tried, but there was no helping that guy," her sister, Ineya SanCarlos, said.
poughkeepsie, crime, murder, police officer killed, northern suburbs news, carolina leid
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon? 46 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 43 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Teen shot by police in Brownsville
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- New report: Disturbing news about raw chicken
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos