Northern Suburbs News
Clarkstown police arrest suspect in standoff
NANUET, N.Y. (WABC) -- Clarkstown Police were involved in a standoff with an emotionally disturbed person in Nanuet for more than five hours.
At around 4:15 p.m., police received a call from a family member of the individual who said the 26-year-old was barricaded inside 16 Ludvigh Road and was distraught, suicidal, and armed.
Police arrived at the scene and established a perimeter around the home and surrounding homes. They also activated their SWAT and crisis negotiation teams. A command post was set up at Ludvigh and Pigeon Hill Roads, just north of the home.
About a dozen pepper spray rounds were fired into the house. The suspect fired a shot at police from inside the home, but no one was injured.
The suspect was not holding any hostages. Negotiators got in touch with him through a friend who talked to him on a cell phone. They also used a mega phone to try to negotiate with the suspect.
Residents were advised to stay inside.
Police were able to arrest the suspect after he agreed to come outside after talking to a family member around 9:30 p.m.
The suspect was taken to Nyack Hospital to be evaluated.
clarkstown, rockland county, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 15 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 13 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys 47 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos