Northern Suburbs News
Clarkstown police arrest suspect in standoff
NANUET, N.Y. (WABC) -- Clarkstown Police were involved in a standoff with an emotionally disturbed person in Nanuet for more than five hours.
At around 4:15 p.m., police received a call from a family member of the individual who said the 26-year-old was barricaded inside 16 Ludvigh Road and was distraught, suicidal, and armed.
Police arrived at the scene and established a perimeter around the home and surrounding homes. They also activated their SWAT and crisis negotiation teams. A command post was set up at Ludvigh and Pigeon Hill Roads, just north of the home.
About a dozen pepper spray rounds were fired into the house. The suspect fired a shot at police from inside the home, but no one was injured.
The suspect was not holding any hostages. Negotiators got in touch with him through a friend who talked to him on a cell phone. They also used a mega phone to try to negotiate with the suspect.
Residents were advised to stay inside.
Police were able to arrest the suspect after he agreed to come outside after talking to a family member around 9:30 p.m.
The suspect was taken to Nyack Hospital to be evaluated.
clarkstown, rockland county, northern suburbs news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting 39 min ago
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos