Northern Suburbs News
Police investigate murder of Dutchess Co. teen
HYDE PARK, New York (WABC) -- Police are investigating a disturbing discovery in Dutchess County.
The body of 18-year-old Kathryn Filiberti was found on the side of the road last weekend.
Eyewitness News has learned Filiberti was stabbed multiple times to the face and the chest, and two people are being questioned in the murder.
She was a student at Dutchess Community College.
As evening fell Tuesday, a man hung a sign in Filiberti's memory at the site where her body was discovered.
He never met Filiberti, never met her family, but Hyde Park is a small town and many there feel affected by the homicide.
For those who knew her, the loss is extremely tough to take.
Dan Hassoun coached Katie's gymnastics team for six years. She made varsity in the 7th grade, a very rare feat.
"To know that someone from our family had such a horrible thing happen...it hurts very bad," he said.
She was confident and kind, he said, good to her friends and loyal to her teammates.
At dusk, police removed a piece of evidence from the site. At various points during the day Tuesday, officers searched the woods nearby.
At FDR High School, where Filiberti graduated just last year, she is well remembered as a standout.
"I knew her from the time she was a little girl, and I watched her grow up...I was just hoping I could see her grow even more," Hassoun said.
dutchess county, murder, northern suburbs news, jamie roth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos