Northern Suburbs News
Police investigate murder of Dutchess Co. teen
HYDE PARK, New York (WABC) -- Police are investigating a disturbing discovery in Dutchess County.
The body of 18-year-old Kathryn Filiberti was found on the side of the road last weekend.
Eyewitness News has learned Filiberti was stabbed multiple times to the face and the chest, and two people are being questioned in the murder.
She was a student at Dutchess Community College.
As evening fell Tuesday, a man hung a sign in Filiberti's memory at the site where her body was discovered.
He never met Filiberti, never met her family, but Hyde Park is a small town and many there feel affected by the homicide.
For those who knew her, the loss is extremely tough to take.
Dan Hassoun coached Katie's gymnastics team for six years. She made varsity in the 7th grade, a very rare feat.
"To know that someone from our family had such a horrible thing happen...it hurts very bad," he said.
She was confident and kind, he said, good to her friends and loyal to her teammates.
At dusk, police removed a piece of evidence from the site. At various points during the day Tuesday, officers searched the woods nearby.
At FDR High School, where Filiberti graduated just last year, she is well remembered as a standout.
"I knew her from the time she was a little girl, and I watched her grow up...I was just hoping I could see her grow even more," Hassoun said.
dutchess county, murder, northern suburbs news, jamie roth
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
47 min ago