Northern Suburbs News
Asst. principal arrested in sex with student case
NEW ROCHELLE (WABC) -- An elementary school assistant principal in New Rochelle is under arrest Friday, accused of having sex with a 14-year-old student.
Jose Martinez, who worked at the Jefferson School, abruptly resigned two weeks ago. School officials at the time said the resignation was for personal reasons. But now, police say, Martinez is charged with a crime.
The 38-year-old Martinez allegedly had the contact with student at a school he worked at until last year. He was arrested Thursday night at his Long Island home, just one day after the student's parents made a formal complaint.
Police say that between last March and June, Martinez sexually abused the then-14-year-old student on multiple occasions in his office. The alleged incidents happened while Martinez was the administrative dean at Isaac Young Middle School. He was reassigned to Jefferson Elementary this year.
Police say they became aware of the situation when the boy's mother came forward.
"The mother came to the police department earlier in March, and she alerted us or advised us that she thought there was something wrong that had gone on between her son and Mr. Martinez," New Rochelle Police Captain Joseph Schaller said. "But she didn't know the nature of what had gone on."
It appears that the mother confronted Martinez, and that is what prompted the resignation. He is charged with criminal sexual act in the second degree.
School Superintendent Richard Organisciak released the following statement:
"We are deeply concerned about the allegations that have been made against Assistant Principal, Jose Martinez. The safety and welfare of our students remains our priority.
"Mr. Martinez was hired by the district in 2007 as Administrative Dean at Isaac E. Young Middle School. He was provided with clearance to work in the school district after passing the normal State criminal fingerprinting check. There had been no record of complaints from students or staff about Mr. Martinez.
"Mr. Martinez became Assistant Principal of Jefferson Elementary School in September of this past year. He abruptly resigned as an employee of the New Rochelle School District on March 11th.
"The district is fully cooperating with the New Rochelle Police Department as it investigates this very serious matter. All questions related to the investigation should be directed to the New Rochelle Police. The District will also be conducting our own internal investigation."
new rochelle, teacher arrested, northern suburbs news
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 53 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 20 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos