Northern Suburbs News
Cops seize $10 million in marijuana plants during bust
SULLIVAN COUNTY (WABC) -- 15 people are under arrest in what police describe as a highly organized, high-tech marijuana operation.
$10 million worth of pot was grown inside several homes in Sullivan County.
It is high quality, high powered marijuana and this is just a fraction of what federal and local officials have seized.
Late Tuesday into Wednesday, agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office hit seven locations, not residences, grow houses.
They are homes reconfigured to cultivate thousands of hydroponic plants.
Agents had enough evidence to fill U-Haul trucks with marijuana and equipment.
16 people are under arrest and most of them are illegal immigrants.
They were arraigned in federal court in White Plains Wednesday afternoon.
Police say the men are from Central and South America did most of the dirty work: growing and harvesting the plants.
Because the houses are in secluded, rural locations it was easy to avoid detection.
Some who live in the area say they had their suspicions.
Authorities say in some houses the electric meter was bypassed to avoid suspicion about excess usage from the lights needed to grow the plants.
In others locations generators that had been soundproofed were used.
Officials say the marijuana was likely headed for New York City to be sold.
new york city, sullivan county, drug, drug bust, marijuana, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 56 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 13 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos