Northern Suburbs News
Cops seize $10 million in marijuana plants during bust
SULLIVAN COUNTY (WABC) -- 15 people are under arrest in what police describe as a highly organized, high-tech marijuana operation.
$10 million worth of pot was grown inside several homes in Sullivan County.
It is high quality, high powered marijuana and this is just a fraction of what federal and local officials have seized.
Late Tuesday into Wednesday, agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office hit seven locations, not residences, grow houses.
They are homes reconfigured to cultivate thousands of hydroponic plants.
Agents had enough evidence to fill U-Haul trucks with marijuana and equipment.
16 people are under arrest and most of them are illegal immigrants.
They were arraigned in federal court in White Plains Wednesday afternoon.
Police say the men are from Central and South America did most of the dirty work: growing and harvesting the plants.
Because the houses are in secluded, rural locations it was easy to avoid detection.
Some who live in the area say they had their suspicions.
Authorities say in some houses the electric meter was bypassed to avoid suspicion about excess usage from the lights needed to grow the plants.
In others locations generators that had been soundproofed were used.
Officials say the marijuana was likely headed for New York City to be sold.
new york city, sullivan county, drug, drug bust, marijuana, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 57 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 12 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists to protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
57 min ago