Northern Suburbs News
Man gets 20 to life in blaze that killed firefighter
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- A man who set a blaze that killed a Yonkers firefighter was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison Tuesday.
Rafael Roldan previously pleaded guilty to murder and assault.
A 39-year-old firefighter, Patrick Joyce, was killed and two other firefighters were seriously injured in October 2009.
Roldan's lawyer said his client was trying to burn his landlord's clothes after being evicted from the multifamily building.
Joyce died as the result of a three-story fall after he and the other two firefighters became trapped by fire and heat and were forced to jump.
Firefighters Joseph Murray and William Kanych survived, but sustained serious injuries. Murray's required his continued hospitalization and his early retirement from the Yonkers Fire Department. Kanych's injuries required his continued hospitalization and surgery.
white plains, firefighter killed, fire, deadly fire, arson, yonkers, northern suburbs news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash