Northern Suburbs News
Man gets 20 to life in blaze that killed firefighter
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- A man who set a blaze that killed a Yonkers firefighter was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison Tuesday.
Rafael Roldan previously pleaded guilty to murder and assault.
A 39-year-old firefighter, Patrick Joyce, was killed and two other firefighters were seriously injured in October 2009.
Roldan's lawyer said his client was trying to burn his landlord's clothes after being evicted from the multifamily building.
Joyce died as the result of a three-story fall after he and the other two firefighters became trapped by fire and heat and were forced to jump.
Firefighters Joseph Murray and William Kanych survived, but sustained serious injuries. Murray's required his continued hospitalization and his early retirement from the Yonkers Fire Department. Kanych's injuries required his continued hospitalization and surgery.
white plains, firefighter killed, fire, deadly fire, arson, yonkers, northern suburbs news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 15 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son