Northern Suburbs News
Man gets 20 to life in blaze that killed firefighter
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- A man who set a blaze that killed a Yonkers firefighter was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison Tuesday.
Rafael Roldan previously pleaded guilty to murder and assault.
A 39-year-old firefighter, Patrick Joyce, was killed and two other firefighters were seriously injured in October 2009.
Roldan's lawyer said his client was trying to burn his landlord's clothes after being evicted from the multifamily building.
Joyce died as the result of a three-story fall after he and the other two firefighters became trapped by fire and heat and were forced to jump.
Firefighters Joseph Murray and William Kanych survived, but sustained serious injuries. Murray's required his continued hospitalization and his early retirement from the Yonkers Fire Department. Kanych's injuries required his continued hospitalization and surgery.
white plains, firefighter killed, fire, deadly fire, arson, yonkers, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day 59 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
59 min ago