Northern Suburbs News
Simulator shows texting while driving dangers
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- Parents can talk with their teenage kids until their blue in the face about the dangers of texting and driving.
But, put the kids in a life-like situation, trying to drive while texting, and the message hits home.
Students tried it out Tuesday using a simulator at a Connecticut high school.
It's a big day for Brooke Maclean; Tuesday morning she passed her road test.
Tuesday afternoon, she crashed twice.
Thankfully the accidents were only while driving a simulator, meant to highlight the dangers of distracted driving, especially texting while driving.
"It really opened my eyes," Maclean said.
The $1.4 million simulator runs through six scenarios under different driving conditions.
It was created by a University of Massachusetts professor for the Arbella Insurance Group.
"If we can get it in their heads then they won't become a statistic," said Joanne Berlinski, of the Arbella Insurance Group.
The statistics are alarming: in 2009 20% of all crashes were related to distracted driving, resulting in 5,500 fatalities and a half million people injured.
The exercise seems simple: Students have to read and reply to a text that's been sent to them.
Pulling it off isn't as easy.
Hopefully, it's a nip a growing epidemic in the bud.
texting while driving, connecticut, fairfield, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 56 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 48 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 48 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
56 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
31 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos