Northern Suburbs News
Simulator shows texting while driving dangers
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- Parents can talk with their teenage kids until their blue in the face about the dangers of texting and driving.
But, put the kids in a life-like situation, trying to drive while texting, and the message hits home.
Students tried it out Tuesday using a simulator at a Connecticut high school.
It's a big day for Brooke Maclean; Tuesday morning she passed her road test.
Tuesday afternoon, she crashed twice.
Thankfully the accidents were only while driving a simulator, meant to highlight the dangers of distracted driving, especially texting while driving.
"It really opened my eyes," Maclean said.
The $1.4 million simulator runs through six scenarios under different driving conditions.
It was created by a University of Massachusetts professor for the Arbella Insurance Group.
"If we can get it in their heads then they won't become a statistic," said Joanne Berlinski, of the Arbella Insurance Group.
The statistics are alarming: in 2009 20% of all crashes were related to distracted driving, resulting in 5,500 fatalities and a half million people injured.
The exercise seems simple: Students have to read and reply to a text that's been sent to them.
Pulling it off isn't as easy.
Hopefully, it's a nip a growing epidemic in the bud.
texting while driving, connecticut, fairfield, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 1 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos