Northern Suburbs News
Religious dispute continues in New Square
NEW SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A burn victim's family believes he was attacked because he boycotted a local synagogue in Rockland County.
This emotional case is dividing many in the Orthodox Jewish community in New Square.
Ruth Rottenberg has lived in her house for 18 years, and says she never thought it would come to this: her husband of 25 years is lying in a hospital bed with burns over half his body.
While outside, members of the Hassidic community were trying to shout down the family's attorney.
At the heart of the dispute is Aron Rottenberg's decision not to pray at the main synagogue run by Grand Rebbe David Twersky, something that's virtually forbidden in the Orthodox community of New Square.
Rottenberg was seriously burned early Sunday when he tried to stop an 18-year-old suspect from throwing a Molotov cocktail at the house.
The attack was thwarted because Jacob Rottenberg was up all night watching security cameras.
The family was on edge after getting a chilling phone call last week.
The family says the trouble started last fall with windows being broken.
A YouTube video shows protests outside the house with the crowd chanting for the family to move out.
Wednesday, several members of the Orthodox community expressed regret and deny orders to torch the house came from the rabbi himself.
The Rottenberg's disagree and are asking for a federal investigation saying numerous police complaints went unanswered.
rockland county, religion, arson, assault, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series