Northern Suburbs News
Religious dispute continues in New Square
NEW SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A burn victim's family believes he was attacked because he boycotted a local synagogue in Rockland County.
This emotional case is dividing many in the Orthodox Jewish community in New Square.
Ruth Rottenberg has lived in her house for 18 years, and says she never thought it would come to this: her husband of 25 years is lying in a hospital bed with burns over half his body.
While outside, members of the Hassidic community were trying to shout down the family's attorney.
At the heart of the dispute is Aron Rottenberg's decision not to pray at the main synagogue run by Grand Rebbe David Twersky, something that's virtually forbidden in the Orthodox community of New Square.
Rottenberg was seriously burned early Sunday when he tried to stop an 18-year-old suspect from throwing a Molotov cocktail at the house.
The attack was thwarted because Jacob Rottenberg was up all night watching security cameras.
The family was on edge after getting a chilling phone call last week.
The family says the trouble started last fall with windows being broken.
A YouTube video shows protests outside the house with the crowd chanting for the family to move out.
Wednesday, several members of the Orthodox community expressed regret and deny orders to torch the house came from the rabbi himself.
The Rottenberg's disagree and are asking for a federal investigation saying numerous police complaints went unanswered.
rockland county, religion, arson, assault, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 34 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 45 min ago
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 4 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos