Northern Suburbs News
NY body found in brush fire was young woman
LAGRANGE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police released some new photos online, hoping to identify the body of a woman found a state park in Lagrange. They believe she is a black or Hispanic female in her late teens or early 20s.
The biggest clue investigators hope will help solve the murder: a tattoo on the lower back of the victim.
The woman's body was found around 5:15 Sunday morning in the woods of James Baird State Park.
A motorist driving by saw something burning and called 911 to report a brush fire, but it wasn't.
With the help of the medical examiner police describe the victim as a light-skinned black or Hispanic woman in her late teens to early 20's.
She was 5 feet 9 inches tall and 150 pounds.
She was wearing blue jeans, black flat shoes with beads on them and a green shirt.
Though the suspect's intention was to burn the body beyond recognition, the tattoo remained visible enough for investigators to release a picture.
Police say without positive identification, they don't have much to go on.
Though Baird State Park is a sprawling 490 acres, police say the suspect acted hastily dumping the body on the main access road less than a mile from the Taconic State Parkway.
Witnesses have described seeing a silver, four door sedan, possibly a Japanese make, in the area around the time of the discovery.
For tips on this case please call the New York State Police at (845) 677-7300.
dutchess county, body found, fire, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen