Northern Suburbs News
Prom photos lead to suspected thief's arrest
DARIEN, Conn. (WABC) -- A suspected thief is under arrest after the victim noticed his missing watch on the wrist of a teen in his son's prom picture.
The proof they say is in the pictures, and one photo led to an arrest.
In April, Eddie Rocha noticed thousands of dollars worth of jewelry missing from his home.
Among the items stolen was a $2,000 designer watch.
The family immediately suspected it had to be someone they knew.
It turns out the suspected thief is not only a friend and classmate of Philemon Rocha's; it's his very next door neighbor.
Philemon's father made the connection after looking online at photos of the Darien High School Senior Prom.
That's when he recognized his watch in one of the pictures poking out from underneath the sleeve of the suspect's white tuxedo.
Rocha called police who arrested the 17-year old.
The suspect's identity is being withheld because of his status as a youthful offender.
Police say the teen has admitted to the theft.
Investigators still have the watch in evidence and have recovered other items, but most of the jewelry was pawned for cash.
connecticut, arrest, theft, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos