Northern Suburbs News
Water main breaks in Greenwich, Conn.
GREENWICH, Conn. (WABC) -- Several properties in Greenwich, Connecticut are without water following a main break.
The first break occurred around 1 p.m. at the intersection of Glensville and Riversville Roads.
Service was disrupted to 200 properties (businesses and residences) while the broken section of the 12" main was isolated.
At 2:45 p.m. water was restored to the majority of residents.
However, as water was directed from a larger main to the customers, a second break occurred in the original main.
Some 50 properties are without water, including 4 businesses.
The force of water when the break occurred washed out the intersection.
The intersection is shut down and police are detouring traffic away from it.
Crew will be working through the night so the intersection can reopen by the morning rush hour.
Fortunately, none of the property owners near the intersection have reported damage.
Due to the water main break the following detours have been set up on the major roadways to avoid this area:
If you are traveling on King Street north of the Merritt Parkway: Travel to Sherwood Avenue, to Riversville Road, Left on Pecksland Road, right on to RoundHill:: Road right onto Lake Avenue which will bring you to the Lake Avenue Circle into downtown Greenwich.
If you are traveling on King Street south of the Merritt Parkway: Travel to Comly Avenue, left onto Pemberwick Road, a right onto Glenville Road to the Lake Avenue Circle into downtown Greenwich
If you are traveling south on Glenville Road toward Glenville Center: Left onto Pemberwick Road, to Comly Ave, onto King Street.
Traveling north on the Hutchinson Parkway: King Street exit is closed, continue south on the Merritt Parkway to the Roundhill Rd exit. Turn right onto Roundhill Road to Lake Ave and follow the detour signs into Greenwich.
water main break, connecticut, greenwich, northern suburbs news
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 51 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 28 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos