Northern Suburbs News
Arrest made in church choir stabbing
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- A woman was stabbed as she left choir practice at a church in Mount Vernon.
The attack occurred in the blink of an eye Wednesday night.
A choir member from the Greater Centennial A.M. E. Zion Church was stabbed on the church steps as she left practice.
It's an act of violence that shocked the Mayor of Mount Vernon who is a parishioner and friend of the victim.
53-year-old Sharon Winston was stabbed with such force, police say the knife blade broke off and impaled in her shoulder.
As Winston staggered back inside the church, the suspect ran away.
From the beginning, police suspected the victim's ex-boyfriend.
Early Friday morning, police arrested 38-year-old Jonathan Green who they say was trying to flee.
There have been prior domestic violence incidents involving Green and Winston.
But in this case, investigators credited the public for providing police several leads.
mount vernon, stabbing, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 5 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 18 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 10 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos