Northern Suburbs News
Arrest made in church choir stabbing
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- A woman was stabbed as she left choir practice at a church in Mount Vernon.
The attack occurred in the blink of an eye Wednesday night.
A choir member from the Greater Centennial A.M. E. Zion Church was stabbed on the church steps as she left practice.
It's an act of violence that shocked the Mayor of Mount Vernon who is a parishioner and friend of the victim.
53-year-old Sharon Winston was stabbed with such force, police say the knife blade broke off and impaled in her shoulder.
As Winston staggered back inside the church, the suspect ran away.
From the beginning, police suspected the victim's ex-boyfriend.
Early Friday morning, police arrested 38-year-old Jonathan Green who they say was trying to flee.
There have been prior domestic violence incidents involving Green and Winston.
But in this case, investigators credited the public for providing police several leads.
mount vernon, stabbing, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate 51 min ago
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams