Northern Suburbs News
Feds say 59 gang members among 65 indicted in NY
YONKERS, N.Y. -- Federal prosecutors say they've broken up two dangerous drug-dealing gangs in Yonkers with indictments against 59 members or associates.
The suspects are among 65 people whose charges have been unsealed in White Plains.
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara says the Elm Street Wolves and the Cliff Street Gangsters dealt cocaine and marijuana in downtown Yonkers for the last decade.
He says their territories were just a few blocks apart and sometimes they worked together, using weapons to enforce their trade.
Most are charged with drug and weapons crimes that carry mandatory sentences of 10 years in prison. Three are charged with killing a rival.
Of the 65 indicted, 63 had been arrested by late afternoon.
The Yonkers police commissioner says there will be an immediate positive effect in the neighborhood.
yonkers, drug arrest, drug bust, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 10 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 11 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation