Northern Suburbs News
Feds say 59 gang members among 65 indicted in NY
YONKERS, N.Y. -- Federal prosecutors say they've broken up two dangerous drug-dealing gangs in Yonkers with indictments against 59 members or associates.
The suspects are among 65 people whose charges have been unsealed in White Plains.
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara says the Elm Street Wolves and the Cliff Street Gangsters dealt cocaine and marijuana in downtown Yonkers for the last decade.
He says their territories were just a few blocks apart and sometimes they worked together, using weapons to enforce their trade.
Most are charged with drug and weapons crimes that carry mandatory sentences of 10 years in prison. Three are charged with killing a rival.
Of the 65 indicted, 63 had been arrested by late afternoon.
The Yonkers police commissioner says there will be an immediate positive effect in the neighborhood.
yonkers, drug arrest, drug bust, northern suburbs news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 37 min ago
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide