Northern Suburbs News
27-year-old woman killed in Mount Vernon
MOUNT VERNON (WABC) -- There were cries of grief after yet another night of violence on South 12th Avenue in Mount Vernon. On Tuesday, devastated friends and family of the victim came by the scene of the crime, a shooting that left a 27-year-old woman dead.
The victim, Gloria Nartey, was shot in the back of the head just steps from her home around 9:30 Monday night.
Emergency crews performed CPR on the victim but were unable to revive her. She was pronounced dead at Mt. Vernon Hospital.
Police say Nartey was an innocent bystander walking home after doing some grocery shopping.
She was hit when the gunman opened fire on two men on the block.
The suspect then cut through a backyard.
A 25-year-old man, possibly the intended target, was also shot and injured.
As detectives investigate and search for the suspect, uniformed officers patrolled South 12th Avenue, where residents say the sound of gunfire, and even death has become all too common.
shooting, mount vernon, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases