Northern Suburbs News
92-yr-old man drives car into cafe, 10 hurt
STAMFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- A 92-year-old man could face criminal charges after he accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the break.
His car smashed into a cafe injuring 10 people including a pregnant woman.
The images are dramatic: a car inside a restaurant with paramedics tending to a baby.
The elderly driver was taken away on a stretcher as a precaution.
The crash took place Monday in Stamford.
10 people were hurt with seven hospitalized, including Ross Farbman's wife who broke her leg in three places and is five and a half months pregnant.
Kristy Farbman's friend suffered a broken pelvis when the car barreled through Cafe OO La La.
The driver is 92-year-old Samuel Leighton who was not seriously hurt.
Leighton's smashed up Honda now sits at Stamford Police Headquarters, still covered in pieces of the restaurant's shattered plate glass window.
Leighton didn't want to speak with Eyewitness News, but he might be facing a day in court.
Police are recommending charges be filed against him including reckless operation of a motor vehicle and perhaps even reckless endangerment.
It is believed Leighton mistook the accelerator for the brake as he pulled up to a handicapped parking spot in front of the restaurant.
Only a handful of states require retesting of older drivers and Connecticut is not one of them.
connecticut, stamford, accident, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 18 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 24 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
50 min ago