Northern Suburbs News
Arrest in murder of Dutchess Co. teen
HYDE PARK, New York (WABC) -- A suspect has been arrested in the murder of Kathryn Filiberti.
For nearly 5 months, a dark cloud has been hanging over the community, ever since 18-year-old Kathryn Filiberti's body was found in a park.
Stephen Shand was charged with second-degree murder in the apparent strangulation of Kathryn Filiberti.
"It's terrible for Hyde Park, we never had anything like this before," a resident said.
News of an arrest may finally allow residents here to truly feel comfortable again.
"People have been on edge because they were afraid something else was going to happen," a resident said.
Shand's already been arraigned in town court.
"Hopefully the truth will come out over time," a resident said.
Filiberti's body was found on March 19th.
Shand was a substitute carrier for a Poughkeepsie Journal delivery contractor, and investigators believe Filiberti got into the vehicle Shand used to deliver the newspapers after leaving a party. He is not believed to have known the teen, and the killing is not believed to be premeditated.
Shand was a suspect for some time in the murder, but investigators did not immediately make an arrest as they built their case.
There have been numerous rumors and speculation about potential suspects.
It was a confusing series of disappointing twists and turns for residents who've been following the case.
"With all the things that have been said we hear an arrest has been made, I don't know," a resident said.
There are still doubts as residents here attempt to sort out truth from fiction.
In the morning Thursday, investigators are expected to release new information about the suspect.
What we now know, is that he delivered the local paper: The Poughkeepsie Journal, the same newspaper that's been following the case.
"I can't imagine what the parents have been through it breaks my heart," a resident said.
dutchess county, murder, kathryn filiberti, northern suburbs news, jeff pegues
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall