Northern Suburbs News
Driver, 92, charged in cafe crash
STAMFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- Authorities have charged a 92-year-old man after he accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the brake.
Samuel Leighton of Morgan Street in Stamford is charged with reckless endangerment and reckless operation of a vehicle. He surrendered to authorities and later released until a hearing at Stamford Superior Court on September 2, 2011.
His car smashed into Cafe OO La La last week injuring 10 people, including a pregnant woman.
It is believed Leighton mistook the accelerator for the brake as he pulled up to a handicapped parking spot in front of the restaurant.
Only a handful of states require retesting of older drivers and Connecticut is not one of them.
connecticut, stamford, accident, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 37 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 44 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
37 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos