Northern Suburbs News
Westchester cleans up after possible tornado
WESTCHESTER COUNTY (WABC) -- Westchester County and the rest of the New York area is cleaning up Monday from yet another round of wild weather.
The rainy weekend flooded streets, parking lots and basements across the Tri-State area. Some in Westchester believe they may have been hit by a tornado.
The National Weather Service will decide Monday morning whether to investigate if a tornado actually did touch down in the area.
Metro-North is running again after downed trees stopped service between North White Plains and Mount Kisco. And while the trains are back in business, the clean up is just beginning for many people.
Sudden and severe thunder storms drenched homes over the weekend. High winds in Pleasantville uprooted trees and rattled residents
"All I saw was branches," resident Sam Fanelli said. "The wind going vertically, it was unbelievable. I'd say like 100 miles an hour."
Nearby branches became entangled in power lines, knocking out electricity and shutting down roads.
"It's just branches and trees and everything is down everywhere," resident Diana Hauer said. "Big trees. It's very nerve racking and scary."
Con Edison and public works crews worked through the night, cleaning up the mess. The storm was so intense that residents are convinced it was more than just a summer downpour.
"I think it was a tornado," one resident said. "I think it was a tornado."
Some are wondering what's next?
"It happens," another resident said. "Nobody can control the weather or what's going to happen with it."
And in Mount Pleasant, the severe weather produced strong winds that knocked trees onto houses and cars.
Residents say it was a very powerful storm.
storm, white plains, plesantville, mount pleasant, westchester county, northern suburbs news, darla miles
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos