Northern Suburbs News
Police search for Rockland Co. arsonist
SLOATSBURG, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police are searching for an arsonist in Rockland County.
The man is caught on camera setting fire to a boat in Sloatsburg, and that's not all he torched.
A freeze frame from the chilling video shows the man police are looking for, an arsonist caught on surveillance tape.
It shows the suspect calmly, deliberately setting the tarp covering a boat on fire, he then walks over and tries to ignite the other side.
Eventually the boat does go up in flames.
Tom Massaro is a plumber who owns the boat.
He was hard at work Wednesday while the charred remains of his beloved ranger fishing boat sit outside his office where it was parked.
It was 5:30 Sunday morning when the suspect entered the lot on Sterling Mine Road.
The industrial area also houses a construction company and police are looking for a motive.
The video lasts several minutes.
The shirtless, muscular suspect goes in and out of camera range, during which police say he set fire to five vehicles belonging to Conserv Construction.
At one point, he looks under the boat to check the extent of the damage.
Police say they're also concerned they may be dealing with a firebug.
As for Tom Massaro, his pleasure craft is in ruins, but he says he's thankful the fire didn't spread to his office.
rockland county, fire, arson, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash