Northern Suburbs News
Former police officer convicted of manslaughter
NEW ROCHELLE, NY (WABC) -- A jury has convicted former Eastchester police officer James Pileggi of manslaughter in the shooting death of a realtor.
The conviction comes after the first trial ended in a hung jury.
The shooting happened on the evening of November 3, 2009 at the victim's home on Albert Place in New Rochelle.
Andre Everett went out onto his driveway to talk to a group of acquaintances who were seated in the Pileggi's car.
Pileggi was seated in the front passenger seat of his car, playing with his off-duty gun, a Glock 9mm, with a laser sight affixed to it.
At some point, while the victim was standing by the rear driver's door, Pileggi discharged the weapon and the bullet struck the victim in the throat.
New Rochelle police were called and Everett was taken to Sound Shore Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
"This defendant was a police officer who had worked in two Westchester County police departments and had repeated training in the use and safeguarding of his firearm," said District Attorney Janet DiFiore following the jury's verdict. "For former police officer Pileggi to claim that the shooting of his friend was an accident and not a conscious disregard for due care and safety is absurd and simply a ploy to avoid accountability for his reckless actions, actions for which this jury found him responsible."
Pileggi faces a maximum of fifteen years in state prison when he is sentenced in January. He remains in County jail until that hearing.
westchester county, new rochelle, crime, shooting, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs 23 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
33 min ago