Northern Suburbs News
Tour bus rear ends truck on Thruway
SLOATSBURG (WABC) -- A bus en route to Manhattan rear ended a truck on the New York State Thruway in Sloatsburg early Tuesday.
The southbound bus, operated by New York Trailways, rear ended the truck near exit 15A just after 5:30 a.m.
About 17 passengers were on the bus at the time of the crash.
The driver and several passengers were injured and taken to nearby hospitals.
Sgt. Michael Kopp says the injured had to be extricated from the bus, but their conditions weren't believed to be life threatening.
The remaining 12 passengers were placed on another Trailways bus that was headed for New York City.
The truck driver is from Canada. The bus driver was identified as 57-year-old Dean Vardakis, of Washingtonville, New York. Cops say there is no early indication that drugs, alcohol or lack of sleep played a role in the crash. The records of both drivers appear to be clean.
A motorist whose indecisive action apparently led to the crash never stopped. New York State Troopers are investigating both the bus and truck to see if there were any mechanical failures that led to the accident.
The bus left Kingston at 4:15 a.m. It was to arrive in New York City at 6:15 a.m.
tour bus accident, northern suburbs news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Teen shot by police in Brownsville
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- New report: Disturbing news about raw chicken
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos