Northern Suburbs News
Crackdown on drinking after incident at rival school
CLARKSTOWN, N.Y. (WABC) -- There will be extra police officers on hand at homecoming festivities this weekend at a Rockland County high school.
It comes after some students got their hands on alcohol and ended up so drunk they had to go to the hospital.
Friday evening, the biggest football game of the year for Clarkstown South High School kicked off: a showdown against rival Clarkstown North.
But there's another reason for bad blood between the schools, a crackdown of sorts on post-homecoming activities.
Last weekend a number of Clarkstown North students were hospitalized with alcohol poisoning during an unsanctioned and unsupervised bus trip into Manhattan.
District officials are looking to avoid a repeat since dozens of South High students are planning their own bus trip into the city following a school dance.
The principal has sent a recorded message to all parents reminding them of the likelihood of illegal alcohol and/or drug use.
The district attorney is investigating whether parents supplied alcohol to the teens involved in last week's incident, so the message this week at South was directed to adults.
To discourage drinking before the trip, students will be not be allowed to leave Saturday's dance early.
There will be extra security and scrutiny all in the name of safety.
clarkstown, rockland county, drinking, teenager, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 45 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 20 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
52 min ago